Abandoned ‘Brownie’ gets new lease of life at Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
An abandoned seven year old 'Saint Bernard' female dog was saved from a life threatening disease by a team of surgeons at Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University. The dog was brought to the University Teaching Hospital during emergency hours in a critical state. Dr. Tarunbir Singh, who was on emergency duty, said that the pet was presented with severe respiratory distress and was diagnosed with Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus syndrome (GDV). The pet was in a state of shock and needed an emergency procedure called gastrotomy along with necessary stabilization, he added.
When the owners were informed about the line of treatment they abandoned the pet without informing the attending surgeons. In view of the critical condition of the dog the doctors on duty decided to go ahead with the surgery. The team of doctors took up the challenge and undertook a 2 hour long procedure which required surgical decompression of stomach and correction of the volvulus.
It was an irony that on one side where the surgeons were fighting for saving the life of the pet, the owners abandoned their companion. The doctors and students of the surgery department undertook a very demanding post-operative treatment and care of the dog at University premises which included round the clock monitoring and critical care observation of the pet, repeated ultrasound examinations and continuous fluid therapy. They named the pet ‘Brownie’ who after one week of surgery is now out of danger and is playful.
Dr. J Mohindroo, Head Department of Surgery said that Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus is a common problem in giant breed dogs especially after they are given heavy meal. It is an emergency and delay at any level can lead to fast necrosis of the stomach which is generally irreversible. The problem can be identified if you find your pet uncomfortable, with respiratory distress and distension of abdomen after a heavy meal. The nearby veterinarian or emergency service should be consulted immediately. “I am proud of my team and their compassion and dedication towards the sick animals” Dr Mohindroo said.
Dr. Parkash Singh Brar, Dean College of Veterinary Sciences said that the problem of abandoned pets is of great concern. Most of our pet owners are very concerned about the pets, but few owners leave the pets to avoid botheration of post-operative care. The positive note for ‘Brownie’ is that many persons were willing to adopt her. While Dr Brar congratulated the surgery team, he appealed to the owner to come and take possession of the pet.